There are a surprising number of foods that can be lethal to dogs. Some of these, like chocolate, are well known. But others, like grapes and onions, may come as a surprise.
Chocolate contains theobromine which is poisonous to dogs and can cause seizures, heart problems, and even death.
Onion contains thiosulfate which can damage red blood cells in dogs and lead to anemia. Grapes contain toxins that can cause liver damage and kidney failure in dogs.
And it’s not just chocolate bars that can be dangerous—chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and even some kinds of dog treats can be hazardous. So if you have any chocolate in your home, be sure to keep it out of reach of your dog.
Grapes and raisins are another food that can be deadly for dogs. Like chocolate, the exact mechanism by which they cause harm is not fully understood.
But it is known that even a small amount can lead to kidney failure in dogs. So if you have any grapes or raisins in your home, make sure your dog can’t get to them.
What Foods Can Kill Dogs:
- Chocolate – This is toxic to dogs because of theobromine, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and even death.
- Grapes and raisins – These can cause kidney failure in dogs, even in small amounts.
- Onions and garlic – These can damage a dog’s red blood cells and lead to anemia.
- Xylitol – This is a sugar substitute that can cause liver failure in dogs.
- Caffeine – This can cause restlessness, rapid breathing, and heart palpitations in dogs.
- Macadamia nuts – These can cause weakness, vomiting, and tremors in dogs.
- Rhubarb – This can cause kidney damage in dogs.
- Alcohol – This can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and even death in dogs.
- Walnuts – These can cause gastrointestinal upset in dogs.
- Avocados – The leaves, fruit, and seed of avocados are all poisonous to dogs.
- Almonds – These can cause gastrointestinal upset in dogs.
- Chestnuts – These can cause gastrointestinal upset in dogs.
- Mushrooms – Some mushrooms are poisonous to dogs and can cause gastrointestinal upset, organ damage, or even death.
- Cherries – The pits of cherries contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs.
- Tomatoes – The leaves and stems of tomatoes are poisonous to dogs.
- Potatoes – The leaves and stems of potatoes are poisonous to dogs.
- Eggplant – The leaves and stems of eggplant are poisonous to dogs.
- Peaches – The pits of peaches contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs.
- Plums – The pits of plums contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs.
- Hops (used in brewing beer)—Hops are poisonous to dogs and can cause restlessness, panting, and an increased heart rate.
- Eggs – Raw eggs can contain Salmonella bacteria, which can make dogs sick.
How do I know if my dog has eaten a poisonous food?
The best way to know if your dog has eaten something poisonous is to look for symptoms. Some common symptoms of toxicity in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, difficulty walking or standing, seizures, and collapse.
If you see any of these signs, it’s important to take your dog to the vet immediately. Symptoms can range from mild to severe, and some toxins can be life-threatening.
For example, if your dog ingests chocolate or coffee beans, they may vomit and have diarrhea. This is usually not serious and will resolve itself within a day or two.
However, if your dog eats something more poisonous like antifreeze or rat poison, it could experience organ failure and die without prompt treatment.
It’s always best to err on the side of caution and seek medical attention for your dog if you think they may have ingested something poisonous.
How can I prevent my dog from eating poisonous food?
The best way to prevent your dog from eating poisonous food is to keep them away from areas where there may be potential dangers.
You can do this by keeping them on a leash when outside, or by fencing off areas of your yard that contain poisonous plants.
You should also make sure to keep garbage and other potential hazards out of reach of your pet.
If you think your dog may have eaten any of these foods, it’s important to act quickly. Call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
They will be able to give you specific instructions on what to do next.
Keep your dog safe by avoiding these dangerous foods, and be sure to keep any potentially harmful items out of reach. With a little vigilance, you can enjoy many happy years with your furry friend.